Have to make this a short review of the D&D 4E news this week, since I am forced to post this from the local coffee shop’s wifi. The home bandwidth is having terrible latency and ping issues, which hopefully will be resolved tomorrow from the cable internet provider.
Obviously, with the Thanksgiving Holiday this past week there has not been as many articles published for Dragon and Dungeon magazines, but there have been a few choice ones, like Jared von Hindmann’s D&D Outsider article Location Location Location, and an enjoyable piece of Forgotten Realms fiction by Rosemary Jones called Dreaming of Waterdeep.
I was also really excited to get our first glimpse of the new DDI application, which was reported by Dave “The Game” at Critical Hits.com in the Preview: Dungeons & Dragons Virtual Table blog. And Gamefiend over on At-Will.com had some very interesting ideas for a D&D 4E achievement system in Penniless but not Powerless, Part 3: Achieving your Dreams.
So definitely make time to check out all the great D&D 4E new, reviews, and commentary this week. There is almost always something worth reading from the 4E community bloggers and writers!
Blogs at Neuroglyph Games This Week:
D&D 4E News This Week:
- Bart Carroll posts a Monster Quiz in the new D&D Alumni, to challenge D&D gamers to identify the old classic 1st Edition art!
- The new Spotlight Interview chats with the author of a New Yorker article called “The Dungeon Master”. Check out this Sam Lipsyte Interview at the Official D&D website.
- Rosemary Jones pens a new piece of Forgotten Realms Fiction, featuring Gustin Bone in Dreaming of Waterdeep.
- Ryan Isaacson at RPGNet.com does a Review of the Beholder’s Collectors Set.
- There is a new contest at Kobold Quarterly.com offering gamers a chance to get their hands on a Taverncraft “Smaug the Magnificent Epic Collection Official Hobbit Stein” in the Rob the Dragon Stein Contest!
- John Four guest blogged at Critical-Hits.com with some tips on derailing a railroading GM in How Do You Turn a GM Off the Tracks Onto a Dirt Road?
- At-Will.com’s Gamefiend looks at an achievement system for D&D as an alternative to experience in Penniless but not Powerless, Part 3: Achieving your Dreams.
- Mike Shea at Sly Flourish.com discusses how to handle more potent Paragon and Epic Tier Characters by Understanding the Economy of Actions.
- Bauxtehude at Dungeon’s Master.com delves into the Rules Compendium and starts Exploring Skill Checks and the New DCs (Part 1).
- At Greywulf’s Lair.com, has a new recipe for adventure in Random Monster Monday – with the featured random monster: Rakshasa Dread Knight!
- Stephen Radney-MacFarland pens a new Save My Game column in Dungeon Magazine, with tips on how to handle “wish lists” responsibly in Master the Treasury!
- Jared von Hindman posts a new D&D Outsider article, in Dungeon Magazine, discussing the nature of villagers living near terrible and dangerous lands in Location, Location, Location!
- Dave “The Game” at Critical-Hits.com writes a detailed Preview: Dungeons & Dragons Virtual Table.
- Kobold Quarterly.com has details about a new organization to introduce into a D&D 4E campaign. Check out Memorable Factions: The Distant Virga!
- Bauxtehude at Dungeon’s Master.com continues his delve into the Rules Compendium, Exploring Skill Checks and the New DCs (Part 2).
- At This is My Game.com, there is a blog raising some major concerns about The Slow Death of Epic Tier.
- Wimwick at Dungeon’s Master.com ponders his first perception of the new DDI app and asks: Character Builder: Is It REALLY That Bad?.
- Russ at EN World.com dishes up his take on Thanksgiving with a new monster: The Dire Necrotic Immortal Turkey of Doom!
- Nevermet Press.com has created a were-creature for use in D&D 4E. Check out Weregoats! A New Playable Race for 4E D&D!
- Ameron at Dungeon’s Master.com reports in on the D&D Encounters: Keep on the Borderlands (Week 10).
- The Tome Show.com has a new podcast, discussing recent D&D product releases in the Tome Ep 157: Essentials Part 2.
- At-Will.com’s Ryven continues taking on new uses for old skills. Check out Serious Skills: Nature.
- Jeff Greiner (from The Tome Show) guest-blogs at Sly Flourish.com, discussing how best to handle the most powerful of magic items in Artifacts are for the Dungeon Master.
- WotC’s Greg Bilsland blogs at In the Eye of the Beholder.com with a look at his ground rules for his new Dark Sun Campaign in Combining Themes & Backgrounds.